Wednesday, November 19, 2008

TENNIS


When I was in grade school, I thought I’d like to learn to play tennis. Because my family and I lived in sunny southern California, that meant it would be possible to play year round . What I hadn’t realized was that learning to play tennis meant long hours of practice and that included chasing the balls around the court non-stop. I hated it and chose to play volleyball instead.

Recently I found myself enjoying a good tennis match on television. Having had a hint of what skill and endurance is needed in the players, I appreciated all of the hours of practice which have gone into being able to play in any tournament.

One particular day as I watched a game, the players seemed to fade into the background. All I could see was the crowd gathered to watch. I was clearly reminded that in our lives we, too, are being observed by a crowd - in our case, a great cloud of unseen witnesses.

What do they see in our lives, I wonder?

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus . . . . Hebrews 12:1-2

Heavenly Father, I know that we are a school for the angels. Please create in me the attributes which, when seen by unseen witnesses, will bring glory to Your holy Name. In Jesus. Amen.

No comments: