Monday, November 3, 2008

PLANS AND STEPS

One day recently my plan was to make a quick stop at our village post office, loop around to pick up a few items from the grocery store and then head for home.

I pulled into a parking space on the street in front of the post office and quickly ran in to get my mail. Preparing to pull away from the curb, a huge garbage truck pulled up alongside my van and stopped. I was going nowhere. My entire plan was called to a halt.

All of a sudden I could hear yelling. The only recognizable words were, “Help, help!”

As I turned my head toward the commotion, I noticed a little boy and his bicycle underneath a SUV. The boy’s mother was frantically trying to get to him.

Quickly I sprinted into the post office, shakily yelling for them to dial 911, giving needed details. My part in the adventure was minor. Yet I could clearly see that even though I had made a plan for myself, the Lord had directed my steps to be where He wanted me to be at the exact moment of need.

The moral of the story? The next time in our lives a huge garbage truck (or anything else God sends) stops us in our tracks, let’s look around and see what He may have us do. Maybe the purpose is for us is to ‘be’ - still, holy as He is holy, thankful . . . . Whatever the reason, it is of eternal importance.

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. Proverbs 16:9

Master Time Keeper, thank You for placing stops along my path. Please help me to see what You have for me at each one. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: