Saturday, November 22, 2008

MATURITY

The other day I was in a facility that had a nursery for young children. If the child couldn’t be still and quiet enough so they wouldn’t disturb the adults during the meeting they would be taken to the nursery. Although not a punishment, the nursery was there for the good of the child and for the good of the adults.

Before entering the meeting, I could hear one mother say, “If you can’t be quiet and behave, you’ll have to go to the nursery.”

I could hear God saying the same thing - If we can’t obey what He has given us to be and do at this stage in our lives with Him, then we, too, must go to the nursery.

I don’t know about you, but I prefer to grow and mature in being a follower of Jesus. I don’t want to stunt my growth because I am hard headed, hard hearted and rebellious. I want to have a soft heart toward my Father. I want to have the mind of Christ - filled with all of the wisdom and knowledge of God which I can now hold. I want the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, my Counselor, who wisely instructs and guides me daily.

How about you? Are you striving for the maturity God longs to give, as His dear children?

You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. And a person who is living on milk isn’t very far along in the Christian life and doesn’t know much about doing what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right. Hebrews 5:12 & 13

Heavenly Father, please train me so I am at the stage of growth where You want me to be at this season in my life - to Your glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: