Sunday, November 2, 2008

AMBITION

Are you ambitious? At work, do you strive to earn that promotion . . . stepping on anyone who gets in your way? In your neighborhood, do you work diligently on your yard . . . to show up your neighbor’s laziness? At church, do you give of your time . . . so others will admire your dedication?

As you can see, there is a very selfish, dangerous aspect to ambition. Yes, we are to strive to do well at our jobs . . . to please God, not to step on others. Yes, we are to work diligently . . . to honor God, not to show up other’s faults. Yes, we are to give of ourselves, in obedience to God, not for others to admire us. Our ambition, according to Scripture, is to be pleasing to God. May we walk carefully in this area.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own affairs and to work with your hands . . . .
I Thessalonians 4:11

Heavenly Father, I commit any ambition I may have into Your hands. Please purify my motives and my actions so that I may be pleasing to You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: