Tuesday, December 2, 2008

OUR CHARACTER SHOWS


Once upon a time, my daughter and I visited a local bookstore. As we were leaving, the man in front of us went through the door first, never considering that someone could be on his heels ready to go through the door next. Instead of holding the door open, showing consideration for the next person, he barged his way out the door, letting it slam in our faces.

All I could think was that here was a man who was quite self-centered. He was so preoccupied in his own world and with himself that he didn’t notice anyone around him.

Later, upon arriving at the parking lot, a friend asked if I had seen Mr. X - a politician who had consistently caused problems in the city because of his power-hungry attitude. Even though I didn’t know the man, personally, I knew exactly who was being referred to. The man’s character had shouted loudly and clearly to all who came in contact with him.

I am wondering: What do our lives reveal about our characters as we go about our everyday lives? Something as simple as holding a door open for someone speaks volumes.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness, self-control . . . . Galatians 5:22

Heavenly Father, please help me at all times to exhibit Your Spirit who indwells me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: