Wednesday, December 24, 2008

LAYERS OF SOUND

The weather was rainy and chilly, too uncomfortable for a daily walk outdoors. I decided to become a ‘mall walker’ that day. Since it was the Christmas season, there was music piped throughout the mall - a nice touch.

What I actually heard, however, was not so nice. As I began walking, I noticed layers of sound reverberating throughout the mall. Not only was there an over-all layer of music, but each individual store was playing its own choice of music. On top of those sounds, people were talking, babies were crying, children were yelling.

How, I wondered, if a person wanted to hear God’s voice, could He ever be heard above the layers of sound we humans subject ourselves to on a daily basis? May we be sensitive to the layers of sound in our own personal world, quieting them if need be so that we can hear God’s tender voice.

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8

Heavenly Father, please help me to draw apart in quietness to hear Your voice. In Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments: