Wednesday, December 3, 2008

GOLDEN ICICLES


It was the first winter in our “new” home in the village. The first snowfall was a delight, as always. When a surprising December thaw arrived, icicles - grand icicles - began forming on the edge of the roof. Oh, how lovely they were!

Then I noticed that many of the icicles were discolored - a muddy-looking brown. The autumn leaves, still on the roof, had become mixed in with the thawing snow, turning the icicles brown.

Now, we all know that icicles should be sparking and clear so we began looking at those brown icicles with a critical eye. Then upon further thought, I decided to change my perspective. No, those icicles weren’t crystal clear, sparkling in the sunlight, but they did have a certain lovely quality as the various shades of gold dazzled my eyes. I began to enjoy them.

Isn’t it true that often we need to change our perspective about circumstances, too. In order to see the beauty in them, we need to see as God sees. Let’s practice doing that!

To the pure all things are pure . . . . Titus 1:15

Heavenly Father, please give me a heart to see and hear what You already know. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: