Thursday, December 11, 2008

KEPT IN HIS CARE

My son and I made a pilgrimage to the town where I was born. It had been 45 years since I had walked through my old neighborhood, marveling at how everything seemed smaller to my grown-up eyes. The older houses seemed closer together and smaller than I remembered. They also seemed to sit closer to the street. As I got out of the car to walk down the cracked, worn sidewalk, I found tears beginning to flow. I was remembering a childhood filled with joys, but also filled with sorrows.

When I was 9 months old, my mother was taken to the hospital, eventually being transferred to a larger city hospital hours away. Over the next four years, when I needed her the most, Mother was frequently hospitalized with subsequent surgeries, returning home weak and unable to fully care for me.

As I walked through the neighborhood, my tears turned to wonder as I realized how closely God had guarded me during those days and nights.

Yes, the Scripture is true for each of us:

Upon Thee was I cast from my birth, and since my mother bore me Thou hast been my God.
Psalm 22:10

Heavenly Father, I thank You for Your care for me - then and now! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: