Saturday, April 11, 2009

SWEAT AND REST


In the spring, have you found yourself digging, raking, hauling rocks, planting seeds, watering and watching the progress in your garden? You put blood, sweat and tears into that plot of ground and it looks good. I, for one, have done just that - enjoying every minute of my toil.

To my surprise, as I looked out our back window in the spring, I noticed a marvelous sight - a flock of pink flowers dotting the wooded are at the back of our property. How ironic, I thought - I hadn’t done one speck of work to create that area of delight. God did it all by Himself.

I wonder . . . what areas in our lives bring delight to God? Are they the areas in which we toil, struggle and muscle our way through? Yes, He does delight in our hard work in obedience to Him. Yet He must also find delight in the areas in our lives where He is at work quietly, supernaturally . . . creating a mysterious bounty of beauty in our souls . . . and through our lives.

May we see the Master Gardener’s hand at work in our lives. May we stand in awe of Him.

Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord of hosts. Zechariah 4:6

Heavenly Gardener, I thank You for Your work in my life. I give myself anew into Your hands to create in me what You want, as You see fit. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: