Thursday, April 23, 2009

FINISH WITH JOY


An approaching late spring snowstorm sent my husband scurrying to pack his suitcase. His destination was two hours away. He needed to leave early, before the roads became treacherous.

While he was packing, our daughter and I kept ourselves busy and out of his way as he tried to think of all he would need. You could see the wheels in motion as he tried to remember everything, making multiple trips back and forth to the car, loading up. Meanwhile, I put together a care package of food for him so his three day stay would be brightened by touches of home.

Later that day my husband called to let us know he had arrived safely, for which we were thankful. In the process, he mentioned that I’d forgotten to pack some needed items. I could hardly believe his words - he was the one doing the packing! His words stung and hurt me. I had purposely tried to stay out of his way so he wouldn’t forget anything and now I was being blamed.

I began to fume and stew. Then in my daily Scripture reading my heart was convicted as I read: “. . . So that I might finish my course with joy and the ministry which I received of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

I realized that the Lord Jesus placed me where I am to serve Him. My husband and I may have had a misunderstanding but I was placed by his side to serve and love him as unto the Lord. My children may be fussy and cranky but I am placed as their mother to exhibit God’s love. My mother may be critical of me, but I’m perfectly placed to allow God’s love to touch her heart. As I fulfill what the Lord has given me to do (no matter how others act), He is gradually and gently changing my character to exhibit Himself and who He is through me. Only then will I be able to finish my course with joy.

. . . so that I might finish my course with joy. . . . Acts 20:24

Heavenly Father, please help me finish well. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: