Monday, March 30, 2009

A STEP FROM DEATH


Sunday was a peaceful day full of rest, quiet and a delicious dinner with my family around the dining room table. The sun was shining and it felt like the day could go on forever.

The next day, Monday, a storm blew through. My daughter and I could hear the distant rumble of thunder as we worked together in her bedroom. We scurried to turn off and unplug all electrical equipment but were surprised to find that the storm was upon us so quickly.

The heavy winds swirled and the rain pounded the house. All of a sudden we heard a CRACK and a WHOOSH as the mammoth white pine outside my daughter’s window lost half of itself.

Instead of falling on the house and into my daughter’s room like it should have, the swirling winds had twisted the tree as it crashed, causing it to fall parallel to the house. We could barely see out the windows or door since the huge tree covered the entire length of the house. We breathed a quiet prayer of thanksgiving for the Lord’s protection. We truly felt as David did: “There is but a step between me and death.” (I Samuel 20:3)

Some days life seems so serene, like it could go on day after day just the same. Other times life seems so fragile as we realize that death can come in an instant by unforseen danger. No matter what our days bring, we can rest securely knowing that our times are in God’s hands and that our heavenly Father kindly watches over us constantly.

My times are in thy hand. Psalm 31:15

Heavenly Father, no matter if serene or tumultuous, may I live out my days to Your glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: