Tuesday, March 3, 2009

AN INHERITANCE


I opened the letter and burst into tears. It was from my aunt’s lawyer, informing me that, upon her death, my aunt had left me a small inheritance - a brooch. With tears streaming down my face, all I could think about was that my aunt had remembered me. I repeated time after time, “She remembered me!” I couldn’t get past that thought.

My aunt, an only child, had no close living relatives. She and her husband were childless so they used their money doing good in other people's lives. They sent a ministerial student through college, they made sure that a nurse’s education was provided for a niece. My aunt turned her faith in God into practical everyday activities.

After my aunt quietly slipped away - to be home with the Lord, the letter informing me of her intention arrived. What deep emotions that letter stirred. To be remembered meant so much to me.

The next thought broke through clearly - the Lord Jesus Christ has an inheritance for each of us who have given our lives to Him. It is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept safe for us by the one who gave His life for us. We can truly declare: “He remembered me!”

By His great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and to an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled and unfading kept in heaven for you. I Peter 1:3-4

Heavenly Father, thank You for remembering me! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: