Monday, March 16, 2009

HUB CAPS

We took our car into the repair shop. When we retrieved it a couple of days later, all four of our hub caps were gone. Our nice family car looked like a junker.

Now if there is one thing in the entire world which upsets me, it is owning a car which has no hub caps. How I feel about myself turns to mud.

I find it strange that how I view myself is so closely connected to how my vehicle looks. How shallow can my thinking be? Aren’t I the same person whether I ride in a luxury car with no hub caps or in an economy car with hub caps? Why does that bother me? Could it be linked with that “keep up appearances” game? Don’t we realize that appearances can be misleading?

The outside of a house . . . a car . . . a person . . . can have the correct appearance on the outside. Underneath, however, the roof can have dry rot, under the hood can be a burned out engine, in a person’s heart can be greed, bitterness and hatred.

God has made provision through the Lord Jesus for us to be a new and whole person from the inside out. Even if we lose our hub caps (and appearance) on the outside, we know God dwells within. He has made our hearts pure. We are who He made us to be. All is well.

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment. John 7:24

Heavenly Father, please show me how to keep my heart pure before You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: