Wednesday, September 10, 2008

LIVING IN FEAR

When I was in grade school, I always received As and Bs on my report card. Yet every June, just as school was to be let out for summer vacation, I was petrified. Why such fear, you ask? I was afraid that I wouldn’t be passed on to the next grade level when September arrived. I feared that I just hadn’t measured up to the school’s expectations.

I can remember, every June, holding my breath until I yanked my report card out of its little paper jacket, scanning it quickly to see if I’d passed. Of course, with a history of As and Bs, I did. What energy and time I had wasted, imagining something bad which never happened.

I am wondering what fears, real or imagined, we bring with us in our day to day lives as adults? What is the cause of our anxiety? How much time and energy is spent worrying and stewing over things which may never happen? God, certainly, doesn’t want us to live in fear. In Scripture, God’s Word says:

. . . for God did not give us a spirit of fear but a spirit of power and love and self control.
II Timothy 1:7

Heavenly Father, please help me to recognize areas in which I feel fear. Show me how to bring them to You to be dealt with once and for all. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: