Wednesday, September 24, 2008

AN INJURED PINKY

My daughter injured her pinky finger. As she was helping carry video equipment at work, her co-worker accidentally caught my daughter’s finger in a tripod he was moving. It hurt! A couple of days later the same co-worker lost his balance, smashing into that same finger, bruising it badly. Amazingly, that little finger’s injury affected all of our lives in the entire household.

Because of the splinted finger, my daughter was unable to do the simplest chores - like washing dishes. She was also unable to do some of the heavier farm chores she had committed herself to do to help friends. I found myself doing my own tasks and picking up the slack from her chores, too. I was glad to help out, knowing that she would rather have been “doing” instead of healing, but I noticed the strain as more work was added to my already busy schedule.

The Body of Christ, like in a family, works together to get God’s work accomplished according to His direction. When one of us has an “injured pinky” in the form of an unwilling attitude, being “bummed out” that particular day, being unavailable to the Lord’s directives or being burned out from busyness, others in the Body of Christ must pick up the slack if God’s purposes are to be fulfilled.

Let’s realize that we have an important part to play in God’s work. Let’s each do our share. Sometimes we may have an “injured pinky” which can’t be helped, but when we are able, let’s work together to get the job done.

. . . none of us liveth to himself. Romans 14:7

Heavenly Father, thank You that You expect me to work and that I can be of help to my sisters and brothers in the Lord as I obey You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: