Tuesday, September 23, 2008

KNOWING GOD'S WILL


We all know how important it is to discern God’s will before we make a decision. A few years ago, I was faced with a decision whether to become involved in a business having to do with gardens. In seeking God’s will, I followed the principles I knew which would shed God’s light and direction onto my path:

1. Ask God in prayer - I needed to keep an open heart to whatever God said to do, knowing that the correct decision would point to Jesus.

2. Seek others’ counsel - I needed to ask and listen.

3. Experience the peace of God - in my heart, I would experience peace as I obeyed God in His choice for me.

4. Observe circumstances - did they seem to fit together?

5. Search God’s Word - for me, even if the principles 1-4 line up positively, I need it in black and white - in God’s written Word - to know for sure God’s voice in a matter.

I was reading through Isaiah and decided not to search further in the Scriptures for an answer but to read my regularly scheduled portion. I read:

. . . leading you down a pretty garden path to destruction.” Isaiah 3:23

Needless to say, I heard God loudly and clearly. Even though, for myself, I would have enjoyed the challenge and opportunity, I knew for a fact that it would lead to my destruction in ways I couldn’t even foresee. Again, I am reminded that God’s Word is powerful:

For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your clear direction in Your Word to me as an individual time after time after time. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: