Monday, August 17, 2009

STOP. . . LISTEN !

Summer was upon us and so were the sounds of the season. The chirping of crickets was my favorite, as the ground was warm and they were active.

One day, while hoeing my garden plot, my daughter yelled, “Stop!” I kept on hoeing. She yelled at me again to stop but I kept right on with my work, thinking she was worried that I was going to hurt the plants as I swung that hoe.

Suddenly my daughter took matters into her own hands, reaching down to rescue the largest cricket I’ve ever seen. I was so glad, then, to stop.

I wonder . . . why hadn’t I heeded when my daughter yelled “Stop” the first and then the second time. Why did I stop only when I could see the reason why.

Do we often ignore God’s words, failing to heed and obey until we can see clearly the reason why? I hope not. Our heart’s desire should be to obey just because He is God, not needing to know the reason behind His directions.

Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people; and walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you. Jeremiah 7:23

Heavenly Father, please help me to hear Your voice and obey even if I don’t see the reason why. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: