Friday, January 23, 2009

BOARD GAMES


Often in the middle of the cold, snowy winters in Michigan, my daughter and I played board games. One of my favorites is Parcheesi.

As we progress in the game, I may have a substantial lead. My loud groans can be heard as I am sent back to Start. It becomes shockingly clear to me - all of my time and effort had been for nothing.

We are reminded that human effort, too, apart from God’s direction, ends in nothing. Being busy for busyness’ sake and striving after worldly pursuits is a waste of time and effort. Instead, we want our every move to count. We don’t want to be busy about nothing. If we will only live in obedience to God, nothing will ever be wasted as we move through our days and years. Our time and energy will have eternal worth.

We are merely moving shadows and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. Psalm 39:6

Heavenly Father, please help me to listen for Your voice so I can hear Your directions. I want my life to count eternally. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: