Sunday, February 1, 2009

A VOICE


A friend of mine who lives in California, recently completed his first CD entitled “Western State O’ Mind”. It is filled with traditional western songs reminiscent of Gene Autry days. Included also are songs he has written, all of which are accompanied by his guitar or mandolin.

Recently he and his wife sent me a copy. Because I have known this friend since high school and college days, I wondered if I would recognize his voice?

Listening to it, I could hear the essence of who my friend was and is to this day. I could hear the warmth, the delight in what he had created, the good humor, the kindness, the contentment and the discipline of hard work.

As I was listening to him sing, I realized for the first time what a personal thing a voice is. It is uniquely ours. No other person in the world has our voice. God deals with us in unique ways which are reflected not only in our physical voice but the voice behind our voice.

I began to think about God’s voice. He, too, has a distinctive voice, like no other. As we come to know Him, we come to know His voice. If we listen, we will hear words of love, encouragement, peace, wisdom, joy, patience, instruction, kindness, correction, goodness, gentleness, comfort…and any other word we may need at the moment.

If we listen to Jesus (you know, the red letters in your Bible), you will also come to know God’s voice and, thus, to know Him and His essence.

Yes, sometimes God’s voice thunders as in Psalm 29. But usually God speaks in a still, small voice, heard only by those who truly want to hear what He has to say.

“Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind, there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake, there was a fire. But the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire was the sound of a gentle whisper.”
I Kings 19:11-12.

Heavenly Father, please open my ears and my heart to Your voice so that I may heed Your slightest whisper. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: