Wednesday, February 4, 2009

BASS AND PURE LIVES


It looked like fun. Bass boats were gathering at the lake for an informal tournament here in the village. My son and I grabbed our boats to go out on the lake to watch the fun.

Little did I realize that, as I paddled to a safe spot away from the powerful engines, that the aroma of gas fumes and engine exhausts would be carried by the wind straight into my lungs. I couldn’t change positions or hold my breath long enough.

Over the next couple of days I could feel my throat and lungs reacting to the toxins I had inhaled. A respiratory infection set in, I was exhausted from fighting the germs and I needed to come to a complete stop. It became very clear to me, the importance of the scripture:

“If you keep yourself pure, you will be a utensil God can use for His purpose. Your life will be clean and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.” II Timothy 2:21

From here I could go on to caution against the negative toxins in this world - how we spend our time, what we read, what we listen to.

I prefer to change things around a bit and look at what we SHOULD fill our lives with which help us keep ourselves pure: a healthy dose of sunshine, our ears filled with bird song or our own voice lifted in praise to God, our eyes feasting on the colors God has created and on His Word, the aromas of the season filling our hearts with gladness. I’m sure you could list countless others.

Heavenly Father, please help me keep myself pure - spirit, soul and body. Then I can be of use to You in ways I can’t even imagine. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: