Friday, February 6, 2009

SELF TALK


Years ago I read a book which asked: What do you find yourself saying to yourself throughout the day? When you reach for that extra cookie, do you carry on an internal dialogue with yourself using phrases such as “lack of will power” or “weak”? When you find yourself yelling at your husband or children, do you berate yourself as “impatient,” “a horrible wife” or “a shrewish mother”? When you accidentally burn the dinner, do you find yourself saying such words as “inept,” or “failure”?

Imagine someone following you around all day, verbally berating you. Soon you would banish that person from your presence. Why, I wonder, don’t we silence that negative internal dialogue?

Why, I wonder, don’t we invite God’s voice to follow us around. He has only good, encouraging words for us to hear such as “I love you...” “I died for you.” “I want you to live with Me forever . . . beginning now. . . .”

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish and no one shall snatch them out of My hand. Jesus in John 1:27-28

Heavenly Father, thank You that You think the best of me at all times. Please help me to hear Your words above my own. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: