Friday, July 10, 2009

THE LAMP


A beloved aunt left a beautiful antique lamp to me upon her death. My uncle wrapped it carefully in special packaging material so that it wouldn’t break on its way from Pennsylvania to Michigan. We breathed a sigh of relief when it arrived safely those many years ago.

That lamp was valuable so special care had to be taken in its placement in our home. It couldn’t be in a spot where someone might bump it accidentally or where my young son might run into it while playing. Every time young guests would come to visit, the lamp was picked up and moved to another room, where it would be safe.

One day the unthinkable happened. As I was carrying the lamp to safety, the top portion of it dropped onto the hard oak floor and smashed. Instead of tears, I found myself suddenly relieved. It had been such a burden to protect that lamp. Now I was free.

Isn’t it wonderful to know that our inheritance from God isn’t burdensome. It is imperishable, unable to be defiled, nor does it ever fade. How kind He is!

By His great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and to an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled and unfading, kept in heaven for you . . . I Peter 1:3 & 4

Heavenly Father, thank You for all You have for me - now and through eternity. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: