Thursday, June 11, 2009

ANTS AND HORNETS

Many years ago, I had an infestation of water-seeking ants. Every morning when I would go into the kitchen to fix breakfast, I would find the sink and counter covered in a brown, gliding mass of ants. It turned my stomach.

I tried everything to get rid of those ants, including having a grumbling attitude. Even that didn’t work! As winter approached, they eventually disappeared. My grumbling about those ants continued, though, even when I moved 2000 miles away. Eventually, with some maturity I stopped grumbling and realized that my attitude wasn’t pleasing to the

Lord no matter how far away those ants were.

Years passed and I again had an infestation. This time it was an infestation of hornets into my kitchen. For three days, hundreds of hornets swarmed inside from an unknown source. That old grumbling attitude appeared again. Remembering clearly how the Lord had dealt with me before on the issue of the ants, I was suddenly silent. Instead I quietly went about finding the source of their entry. Needless to say, positive, prayerful action was far more successful than grumbling.

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world . . . . Philippians 2:14

Heavenly Father, thank You for lessons You have taught me in years past. Please bring them to mind as I need them - all to your honor and glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: