Friday, October 10, 2008

CRISIS

We have all heard the statement, “A crisis reveals our characters.” Is that true? Perhaps, but probably only partially.

Once upon a time, during an emergency room visit with my daughter, I forgot my own address and phone number. I was that shaken. If that statement ‘crisis reveals our character’ were true, what would that say about my character? Would it mean that in a crisis I was no good, a real scatterbrain? No, certainly not!

Another statement we could consider would be: “A crisis builds character.” That, too, is probably only partially true. During a crisis, sometimes circumstances stretch us, causing us to grow and change in ways we never expected. God can certainly build good qualities into our characters at that time - if we are open to Him and the areas He wants to build up within us.

May we exhibit both statements in our lives - if a crisis arises, may that crisis reveal a godly character in us NOW and may our hearts be open to further growth and change.

May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
II Peter 1:5

Heavenly Father, please help me to be open to further growth in You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: