Monday, February 22, 2010

SPARROWS AREN'T ANXIOUS


The call came. My father-in-law was getting worse. He was in the last stages of cancer and it was time to make plans for my mother-in-law. At the age of 78, her children and their spouses were unwilling to have her live alone after her husband died. She wasn't able to even walk to her mailbox. How would she do laundry? Would she even bother to fix meals for herself?

Some of her children suggested that I and my family relocate 150 miles and move in with her. But that meant our son would have to live with an uncle. It didn't make sense to split up the family. Perhaps she could come live with us. How would that work? Our little house had barely enough bedrooms for the four of us. What to do?

While these questions swirled around unanswered, outside on the clothesline sat a sparrow. He was cocking his head this way and that. It was almost like he was saying, "Don't be anxious, our heavenly Father takes good care of me and He will sort it all out for you. Trust Him."

Look at the birds of the air - they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Matthew 6:26

Heavenly Father, thank You that You teach me in such simple ways about Your kind, compassionate care for me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: