Monday, February 8, 2010

RECEIVING FROM OTHERS

Written last year about this time:

How are you about receiving from others? Horrible? I know that I need some work in that area - the receiving part of it all.

Usually I am the one more than glad to offer rides, a meal, a listening ear but maybe, just maybe, the some recent experiences have been given to bring me to the point of receiving from others without squawking in protest. Here's what happened:

The refrigerator stopped. Dead. Where I live, it is not an option to have it repaired, they just bring you a 'new' one. So, I not only had to stand by to receive a 'new' refrigerator, I had to receive the entire swapping of refrigerators, food out and in, clean-up, the works - received from my son and others who helped because it happened during my work hours.

Soon thereafter my vehicle stopped. Dead. A new battery was needed. Again I stood by as my boss tried to use his jumper cables to no avail, the tow truck man hooked it up, took it away and the mechanic fixed it. Again I received. (Sure it cost but I was the recipient of kindnesses all around.)

Next my vehicle stopped again. Dead. A new radiator was needed. Again offers of help - rides from others, lunch, a tow truck and a mechanic's expertise - that day I received BIG.

Was it over yet? Nope. Next was the stove. Dead. The only thing left running was the clock. No heat came from oven or burners. But I hope that I am learning . . . .

The lessons: Stand still and see the salvation of God which He will work for you this day.
Exodus 14:13

When all fails, receive from the hand of God what He freely offers.

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving to me in so many ways. Thank you, also, for letting others be Your hands and feet in this world. Please. when it is my turn to receive, help me to graciously receive - and learn to just say with a grateful heart, "Thank you." In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: