Monday, February 15, 2010

HOW IS YOUR HEARING?


Recently my son told me about a program he had watched on television which detailed the lives of those who were deaf but, due to modern medicine, could now hear.

I don't know about you, but I assumed - how good, now you can hear and life can go on.

No, that is not what happens. Apparently when one has not been able to hear since birth, it takes extreme effort for them to understand the sounds and language they now are able to hear. Often they must continue to see signing so they understand what is being said. From what researchers are finding, it could take years....

Maybe we should not be so hard on ourselves or on others in the spiritual realm. We were born not being able to hear God's voice for ourselves at all. We needed others to translate to us what He was saying. Then one day we hear Him for ourselves but may be unsure of the sound of His voice, exactly what He is saying, how He is saying it and what we are to do about what He is saying. It will take extreme effort and intense practice at listening to Him to get it right.

And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake, and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. I Kinds 19:11-12

Let's not only hear His voice. Let's take extreme measures to hear aright and then to obey.

Heavenly Father, thank You for speaking clearly to me so I can understand what You are saying. Thank You for being so patient with me until I finally 'get it'. Please instill in me the desire to hear You and to obey You. In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments: