Saturday, May 9, 2009

BUG CARE


A two hour ride home from Detroit through a rain storm faced my husband and me. About an hour into our journey, the rain was coming down so heavily that it was difficult to see. We noticed that a piece of a highway sign had blown into our lane of traffic. Unable to move out of that lane, we had no choice but to run over the sign. The bolts, which should have held the sign in place, pointed upward - into our tires.

We held our breaths. Then we heard it - the dreaded sound of a tire going flat. We pulled as far as we could to the right side of the road and surveyed the damage. Thankfully, only one tire was affected, not all four as we had feared.

Although the sun was now shining, the road was still wet. Cars and trucks were speeding by us, trying to make up for the time they had lost due to the storm. It was a dangerous situation!

We found ourselves kneeling down in the mud and wet grass, my husband changing the tire, me steadying the jack, I was asking God to protect us. I felt so vulnerable to the danger. Then I looked down. Where the grass met the road, there were families of June bugs scurrying back and forth. They, too, were within feet of the cars and trucks flying by. They lived there, unafraid!

How thankful I was to witness God’s little creatures there in that perilous place. Surely if He cared for them, He would care for us!

In the day of my trouble I call on Thee, for Thou dost answer me. Psalm 86:7

Heavenly Father, thank You for promising to be with me in the midst of life when it is swirling about me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: