Monday, July 12, 2010

CHEWING



Recently two people I know used the words “chewing on” to make the point that they were going to ponder, mull over, think deeply about, meditate on what it was they were searching out to find clarity of thought.

In our world today, there is an abundance of things which can fill up our brain space but most of which we don’t give a second thought to. Something happens or we hear something and it seems to barely touch us, bouncing right off again. We don’t seem, in our busy lives, to stop and ‘chew’ - ponder, mediate on, think about deeply. We are too busy and just go to the next thing…and then the next thing.

Maybe it’s time to learn to ‘chew’. Babies gulp down their milk but no chewing is involved. Even early toddlerhood means little or no chewing. But as we mature (in our spiritual lives), aren’t we expected to chew so that we can be nourished?

Let’s practice some chewing!

I remember the days of old, I meditate on all that Thou has done, I muse on what Thy hands have wrought. Psalm 143:5

I will meditate on Thy precepts, and fix my eyes on Thy ways. Psalm 119:15

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their facilities trained by practice to distinguish between good from evil. Hebrews 5:12

Heavenly Father, please slow me down so that I CHEW on the things in my life I need to think about so I can learn more of You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: