Monday, May 17, 2010

WORRY, CONCERN, ANXIETY




Around and around we go. There is so much to worry about, isn’t there? We worry about our health, our kids (young or grown), our finances, our leaky roof, our vehicle, our job, our parents, the bank down the street, the national economy . . . the world . . . .

Yes, there is enough to worry about until we reach old age which, if we keep worrying, will come earlier than we want - so we worry about that, too.

So, what’s the solution? Does God want us to live in a constant state of anxiety and near panic? NO, He does not! Let’s listen to what He wants us to know as we live our lives here in this crazy world:

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you . . . . Jesus says in John 14:27

Then, if I have His peace left to me, why do I worry about so many things?

Jesus goes on to say: Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. . . .

Oh, if I’m not to LET my heart be troubled, that must mean I am to DO something when I feel worry even begin to creep in.

What am I, specifically and practically, to do?

Casting all your anxieties on Him, for He cares about (is fond of) you. I Peter 5:7

That’s something that I can picture doing. If I cast all my garbage curbside - it is gone. If I go to the cross and leave my worries, burdens, anxieties, concerns…. there, then they are gone! In fact, when scripture tells us to cast our cares on HIM, that’s an even better solution than just taking them curbside. When cast upon God, He means to carry them away - far away from us because then He will take care of every one of them. Just watch!

Now what? Return to the house after setting the garbage curbside (or laying them at the foot of the cross) to worry about the same old - same old - or even new issues? NO - we are to continuously do what:

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer, supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6 & 7

Heavenly Father, please show me the practical steps I need to take to keep my heart and mind in Christ Jesus - and at peace. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: