Every once in awhile it is good to review the basics such as God's ten commandments (not suggestions) to us. If we want to live a life pleasing to God and a life which He blesses, it is wise if we heed what He gives us to do and not to do. Read thoughtfully and prayerfully - how do you measure up to His expectations at this stage of your life?
1. I am the Lord your God…you shall have not other gods before me.
(That's very clear, isn't it? He expects to be first in our lives. God is God!!!))
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on earth beneath.
(Cars, houses, people, children, clothes, time - God is to be first and whom we seek.)
3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses His name.
(God is listening to our every word. We, of all people, should honor His name.)
4. Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy.
(Whether Sunday, Saturday or any day you choose, let God run the universe without your help for that day. He created it, He can run it. Even He rested on the seventh day. He wants us to rest, too, turning our attention to Him.)
5. Honor your father and your mother so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
(Sure our parents may not have been perfect, yet God expects us to honor them in speech and actions.)
6. You shall not murder.
(Jesus goes a step further and teaches us to let go of hatred, bitterness, anger - and to forgive our enemies. Yes, we all have enemies.)
7. You shall not commit adultery.
(Jesus' teachings are radical in this society today. We honor Him when we heed his command.)
8. You shall not steal.
(Paper clips from work, time better spent, your good health by poor choices….)
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
(Gossip, slander…lies - we are cautioned against these actions.)
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife…or anything he/she owns.
(Keeping up with the Jones family….their lawn, their clothes, their lifestyle - pulls us away from God whom we should seek with all of our heart, strength and soul.)
Take some time to review life as you know it today in terms of God's commands. He knows best how the world should work. If we obey His commands, He will bless us for the pleasure we are bringing Him.
Heavenly Father, please throughout this next month, bring to mind any area in which I am not following your commands to me. I want Your best and know that I must do my part to receive it. Yes, grace is freely given yet I know you also expect certain thoughts and behaviors from me. In Jesus' name. Amen.