Monday, August 16, 2010

ON THE TRAIN


Recently frustration and anger seemed overwhelming. I struggled with my emotions, trying to make sense of them, trying to get them under control.

The harder I fought to control them, the more those feelings ran rampant, defeating any good thought I’d try to use to control them.

At the height my turbulent feelings, I had agreed to go out to get a bite to eat with a friend. I asked her what she did when such strong emotions threatened.

She smiled and said, “Put them on the train, honey.”

Well, of course!

She went on to explain that one night, while trying to sleep, she was so anxious that sleep would not come. In the distance, she could hear a train coming. Since nothing else had worked to alleviate those anxious thoughts, she decided to put them on the train which would carry those thoughts off into the dark night, never to return.

Scripture tells us to do something similar:

Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you. Psalm 55:22

The next time…let’s put those anxieties on the train which, I am thinking, goes right to the throne of God. He will give peace.

Heavenly Father, when emotions want to roll over me and I feel that I am drowning in them, please take each situation which is causing the problem and show me clearly what do to about each - even if means seeming to do nothing except to rest it in Your hands. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: