Monday, April 12, 2010

GREENHOUSE FINERY



In the spring when the greenhouse opened, it was ablaze with color. Everything was healthy looking and blooming to prove it. Geraniums, petunias, galardias, begonias, allysum, pansies. They were all there having a riot of color amongst themselves.

Carefully considering the plants that were known for loving full sun, I chose those for the east side of my home and for those that loved the the shade during the day, I chose for the west side of my home. I loaded my new friends into my vehicle, transporting them safely, unloading them carefully, hoping they would enjoy their new home.

When the danger of frost was past, I planted them in their new containers and waited. To my surprise, it was like they had run out of steam. It was like they had finished blooming and just sat there in all their green leaf finery. There were no more blossoms, no more color, just green leaf finery from July until frost.

How disappointing, I thought. I began to wonder how God looks at my life - did my life blaze in color for one brief season and then quit? Am I only so much green leaf finery now? Or does my life continue to exhibit life, color, blossoming into new life as He gives it?

And on the morrow Moses went into the tent of the testimony; and behold, the rod . . . had sprouts and put forth buds and produced blossoms, and it bore ripe almonds.
Numbers 17:8

Heavenly Father, I don't want my life to be just nice leafy show - I want it to count in Life-giving color and blessing to others. But most of all, to be a pleasure Your eyes. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: