Monday, January 18, 2010

EMERGENCY


Years ago, I ran a home-based business, creating veils and hats for brides. Sometimes, due to poor planning on their part, a bride would call at the last minute, needing a veil...”yesterday”. I wanted to say “no” yet found myself saying “yes”.

Half way into the project, I would see the foolishness of saying “yes” to these emergency demands. My family was being neglected, meals were rushed and I felt stressed. Finding myself beginning to grumble, I needed to reign in my emotions and prayerfully decide how to stand firm in the future.

The Lord, in His kindness, showed me how to meet any future emergency by establishing guidelines ahead of time and then sticking to them. He didn’t want me to vacillate by sometimes saying yes and sometimes saying no. He knew what would be needed in each situation. All I had to do was to fit in with His plans.

Scripture says:

You may be asking why I changed my plan. Hadn’t I made up my mind yet? Or am I like people of the world who say yes when they really mean no? As surely as God is true, I am not that sort of person. My yes is yes. II Corinthians 1:17 NLT

Heavenly Father, please teach me when to say “yes” and when to say “no”. When I do say “yes”, help me to work with a willing, glad heart. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: