Monday, September 7, 2009

PREPARING THE SOIL


All summer, my daughter's task on a nearby friend's farm was to keep a certain field tilled - the soil loosened and ready for planting in the autumn. Nothing would be planted in the field until late August, but the field had to be kept in readiness.

Saturday after Saturday from March through August, my daughter could be seen for hours, driving the tractor back and forth with the disc attached, keeping the soil soft, preventing the weeds from taking root. By the time August arrived, winter wheat seeds were finally placed in the ground. Within days, healthy green shoots appeared. Eventually a harvest would yield wheat for consumption.

Our hearts, likewise, daily need to be kept softened by God's Word and by obedience to that Word. By reading His Word every day, our hearts will hear, heed and stay on the correct path He has chosen for us until we safely reach Home.

And other seeds fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold. Matthew 4:8

Heavenly Father, please prompt me daily to come to hear Your Word to me. Please keep my heart softened and obedient to what You tell me. I want my life to yield a harvest which is pleasing in Your sight. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: